Braces aren’t just for kids and teens anymore. Regardless of age, it’s never too late to advance your smile and dental health. Today, almost 20% of people wearing braces are adults. However, this is due to less visible options like clear aligners and ceramic braces. Orthodontic treatment is highly effective in treating malocclusions (the misalignment of the upper and lower teeth). Teeth can change positions over time- commonly caused by natural growth, injury, or tongue thrust (a condition where the tongue projects through the front teeth during speech, swallowing, or when the tongue is at rest). To help you get an understanding of the benefits of treatment, here is Dr. Matthew Milestone of Milestone Orthodontics who specialize in adult orthodontics near Rutherford, NJ.
- Teeth shift over time. Many adults choose braces because their family couldn’t afford them when they were younger, their teeth have always been crooked, they want straighter teeth for a new job, or because they are experiencing some level of discomfort caused by a malocclusion. Dr. Matthew Milestone says that if you had braces as a kid and need them again, then that’s because your teeth shift as you get older and some people’s teeth move faster and more than others. It has recently been discovered that retainers should be worn for much longer than previously recommended to prevent tooth movement- so even if you were a model patient as a kid, you may need braces again.
- There are many available treatment options. There are many orthodontic treatment options available for adults near Rutherford, NJ. Some choose to get traditional metal braces, but this method isn’t as common. Ceramic braces are popular because they are camouflaged into the teeth- often being clear or tooth-colored with a clear wire to bind them. However, a Milestone Orthodontics associate stressed that they can stain easily if not taken care of. Lingual braces are adhered behind the teeth rendering them completely invisible, but they are much more costly. Clear aligner systems like Invisalign are a great option for adults because they are practically invisible, and are removable for brushing, flossing, and eating.
- The cost hasn’t changed. 35 years ago, the average cost of orthodontic treatment was around $2,000, or about $5,700 today after inflation. That’s analogous to today, as the average cost of traditional braces ranges from $3,000 to $7,000, depending on your insurance plan, choice of orthodontist, and treatment time. Ceramics are more costly, with prices ranging from $4,000 to $8,000. Dr. Matthew Milestone brought up the fact that lingual braces are by far the most expensive, costing anywhere from $8,000 to $10,000 due to material and procedure costs (although they are the most discreet). The cost of aligners is most similar to that of ceramics, fluctuating from $4,000 to $7,500. However, you may not be covered under your insurance plan as most companies don’t cover braces for orthodontic patients over the age of 18, forcing you to pay out-of-pocket. Be sure to check with your insurance provider to determine if your plan covers the type of treatment you’re choosing.
- Many orthodontists offer a free consultation. Many orthodontists today offer a free consultation in order to determine your treatment options, cost, and length. Milestone Orthodontics’ consultations include a panoramic X-ray that gives a full-mouth view, photographs, and a medical history.
- Braces can build your confidence. Some may be embarrassed of their smile if they have a malocclusion, or a few crooked teeth. However, with braces you can see the improvement in the quality of your smile over time. After treatment, you should be pleased with the results, as the Milestone Orthodontics team’s clients left with a healthy, straight smile! Knowing that your dental health will improve with treatment is a great way to build confidence and happiness.
If you’re an adult looking to restore your sparkling, beautiful smile, then look no further than Dr. Matthew Milestone at Milestone Orthodontics near Rutherford, NJ. To schedule a consultation with the Milestone Orthodontics team, call 201.845.8411today!